About San Diego Zoo Global
San Diego Zoo Global is a not-for-profit organization that operates the San Diego Zoo, the San Diego Zoo Safari Park, and the San Diego Zoo Institute for Conservation Research. The Zoo was founded on October 2, 1916, by Harry M. Wegeforth, M.D. It currently has a 12-member Board of Trustees headed by Richard Gulley; Douglas G. Myers is the Zoo's executive director.
San Diego Zoo Global is the largest zoological membership association in the world, with more than 250,000 member households and 130,000 child memberships, representing more than a half million people. Members enjoy free admission to the Zoo and the Safari Park, a subscription to the magazine ZOONOOZ, and other benefits. Both Zoo and Park are open every day of the year.
San Diego Zoo Global is a conservation, education, and recreation organization dedicated to the reproduction, protection, and exhibition of animals, plants, and their habitats.
San Diego Zoo Safari Park
San Diego Zoo Institute for Conservation Research™
The San Diego Zoo and the Safari Park are accredited by the
Association of Zoos and Aquariums, the American
Association of Museums, and the Zoological Assocation of America.
Here's more information about the accreditation process...
Recent honors and awards
- The Association for Strategic Planning (ASP) awarded San Diego Zoo Global with the Richard Goodman Strategic Planning Award, which is the organization's top honor for innovation and excellence in strategic planning on May 6, 2013.
- The Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA) awarded Top Honors for the 2012 AZA International Conservation Award to San Diego Zoo Global for its Scientific Approaches to Conservation of Giant Pandas and Their Habitat program and a Significant Achievement in North America award for our work on the Light-footed Clapper Rail Recovery Program.
- San Diego Zoo Global was named the Best Event Production with a budget between $25,000 and $75,000 by the National Association for Catering and Events at its annual national conference July 2012.
- San Diego Zoo Global was honored as a recipient of the 20th annual Waste Reduction and Recycling Award for our efforts to divert trash from the landfill, thus protecting our environment and conserving natural resources.
- The Institute for Conservation Research received the 2011 Plume Award for long-term avian propagation programs for its work with critically endangered Hawaiian birds. The award was given in March by the Avian Scientific Advisory Group during a session at the Association of Zoos and Aquariums conference in Chattanooga, Tennesee.
- San Diego Zoo Global received a Recycler of the Year Award from the City of San Diego in 2011.