Different wild cats have spot patterns in their coats that are unique to their species. Can you spot the differences?
and jaguars don't really have spots at all. Their black patterns are called
• Cheetah spots are solid and very evenly distributed.
• Jaguar rosettes sometimes contain spots in their centers.
• Black jaguars have rosettes like other jaguars, but their mostly black coats make them harder to see.
• A clouded leopard's rosettes are very large and uneven.
• Can you tell just by looking at its coat which cat would best blend into a snowy habitat?
• Which cats could hide well in the tall, dry grass?
• Is there a cat that would be hard to spot in a dark rain forest?
Mammals: Spot the Cat Coats
|Black Jaguar Panthera onca
||Clouded Leopard Neofelis nebulosa
|Jaguar Panthera onca
||North Chinese Leopard Panthera pardus japonensis
|Persian Leopard Panthera pardus saxicolor
||Snow Leopard Panthera uncia
|Cheetah Acinonyx jubatus|